Lots of shade>
A former Custer County Judge, Charles R. Matthews, homesteaded the area that now makes up Victoria Springs State Recreation Area. The sixty-acre area gets its name from a natural mineral spring which once drew visitors who believed in the theraputic value of the waters. At one time Matthews bottled and sold the spring water. Established as a state recreation area in 1925 (the third designated in Nebraska), Victoria Springs has a campground, picnic area, and nonmotorized boating. The cabin that served as Judge Matthew's home and Custer County's first post office remain at the site. (from "Roadside History of Nebraska", Candy Moulton)
Road north out of Merna.
The old schoolhouse along the road to Victoria Springs.