Visit the Secret Garden
for that perfect something. Find them on Facebook or call
Some history of early Merna, Nebraska
Merna was originally called "Muddy Flats" by Samuel Dunning who arrived in 1876 and built a log cabin which housed
the first post office in Merna.The post office
has been relocated to the Victoria Springs recreational area north of Merna.
Mr. Dunning moved on to an area west of Merna now named after him, Dunning, Nebraska.
The second postmaster William Brotherton named the town "Merna" after Merna Dunning, Samuel Dunning's 7 year old
daughter. When learning that the railroad would be located two miles west of the current town location, the town packed
up and moved closer to the proposed location. The railroad actually built near the original location of the town of Merna
and so the town packed up and moved back to its original location. The "Merna Record" was published by Emerson Purcell.
Merna incorporated in 1890. In 1908 the town water system began operating. In 1916 the Brenizer Library was given to the
town by a former resident, Dr. James Brenizer. Before the train depot closed in May of 1959 there were two passenger
trains traveling in each direction twice a day.Courtesy of http://unl.edu/history/counties/Custer/Merna
The lovely Kellenbarger House
in Merna, Nebraska.
Built in 1906 in the Queen Anne style and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home is
by Dee Adams who purchased the home in 1993.